We have made a few improvements to this recipe since shooting the Youtube recipe video on this page. You can watch this video to see how Sam makes the hot cross buns but please use the recipe below for ingredient quantities.
You will need
- 1 packet (400g) Gluten Free Crusty Bread Mix.
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- ¼ tsp. mixed spice
- 1 ½ tbsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. (25g) margarine
- 1 ¾ cups (450ml) of warm water
- Sachet of dry yeast (included in box). If your box contains two sachets use both.
- 1 (50g) Gluten Free dusting flour
- 1 cup (100g) sultanas
For the Cross
- ½ cup of Well and Good Gluten Free SR flour
- ½ cup of warm water
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (fan forced)
- In large bowl combine sugar, margarine, yeast and sultanas with warm water and mix well; then add spices and gluten free crusty bread packet and stir with a wooden spoon until all ingredients are well combined. Let the dough prove for 15 minutes.
- Dust your bench with flour provided, and turn your dough onto the floured surface, gently knead the dough until elastic (1-2 minutes)
- Roll the dough in to small round balls and arrange closely on a prepared baking tray, brush buns with water to prevent cracking. Cover with a damp tea towel and let the buns proof for a further 35 -45 min.
- For the Cross; mix ½ cup of well and Good, Gluten Free SR flour with ½ cup water, spoon the mix into a piping bag with a fine tip, or a plastic bag with a small hole.
- Before you set to bake brush each bun with a little oil, using the mix in piping bag cross in the centre of each bun, and set to bake for 16 – 18 minutes.