A fresh berry compote goes so well with the Well and Good custard. In this recipe, we reduced the amount of water and milk that is recommended for making our pouring custard. We wanted a thicker consistency that would hold its shape in the glass and also taste amazing. If you prefer a more runny custard then increase the water and milk to 600ml.
Feel free to substitute blueberries for your favourite fruit: the slightly tart flavour profile of raspberries also pairs really well with this custard!
Be sure to check out our chocolate custard recipe as well if you love a rich, creamy, custard with a burst of dark chocolate goodness.
Serves 4 but servings will vary depending on your choice of glass.
What you need to make a custard and berry compote.
- 1 packet (250g) Instant Custard Powder
- 400 mL water (for custard)
- 400 mL milk (or your choice of milk substitute)
- 2 tblsp oil of choice
- 250g blueberries
- 4 tbsp water (for compote)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- To make the custard: add custard powder, water, milk and oil to a large bowl and whisk until desired thickness is achieved.
- To make the compote: combine blueberries, water, sugar and lemon juice in a small saucepan and heat on low-medium heat until the sugar melts and the berries soften. This will take around 15 minutes.
- Remove berries from heat and allow to cool.
- Fill 1/3 of a glass of your choice with custard and then and a layer of berries.
- Top with another layer of custard then top with cream and grated dark chocolate.