Layer cakes are a decadent treat that are perfect for impressing your dinner guests. They also taste amazing with the complimentary layers of chocolate mud cake and cream.
What you need to make a chocolate layer cake
- 2 Well and Good Mud Cake mixes
- 300ml thickened cream
- 2 Tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Cherries (for garnish)
- Follow the packet instructions to make the two mud cakes. Allow to completely cool on a wire rack once cooked.
- Whip the cream, vanilla and sugar with a whisk or electric beater until stiff peaks form.
- Using four toothpicks, slide one into each side of the first cake. Each toothpick should be half way up the side of the cake. You’ll use these toothpicks as a guide when cutting.
- Take a large sharp knife and begin cutting into the cake – only cut in 1 inch until you’ve cut all the way around the outside of the cake. Ensure the cut is level and lines up with the toothpick guides. Continue cutting until you have two even sized layers.
- Repeat previous step with the second cake.
- Take first layer of cake and place on a cake stand or plate. Use a spatula to smooth a layer of cream on the cake. Add the next layer and repeat until all layers have been added. Top with cream and cherries.