Besan flour (chickpea flour) choc chip cookies
Choc chip cookies are a real crowd pleaser. I’m not talking about those ones bought at the supermarket. I mean the homemade ones filled with delicious dark choc chips – they’re soft in the middle and crispy on the outside and one is usually not enough.
There are dozens of recipes that create amazing choc chip cookies. But most of these are not gluten free. What we offer in this recipe is a gluten free chocolate chip cookie that’s as good, if not better, than traditional cookies. This recipe uses besan flour, otherwise known as chick pea flour. It’s such a good flour for baking as it’s versatile, easy to work with, and is higher in fibre and protein than plain white flour.
What’s needed to make gluten free choc chip cookies
- 3/4 cup besan flour
- A pinch Himalayan rock salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking soda
- 3 Tbsp coconut oil
- 3 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp high quality vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup high quality dark chocolate chips
- About 1 Tbsp water if required to help moisten the mixture.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- Mix the besan flour, salt, baking soda and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add oil, maple syrup and vanilla and combine.
- If the mixture is too dry to roll into balls then add the water slowly as required.
- Roll the mixture into 8-10 balls and place on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Besan flour can brown very quickly so keep an eye on your cookies to ensure temperature isn’t too high.
- Put besan flour in the freezer the night before making your biscuits. This provides your biscuits with better structure and stops them going flat.