Corn and Quinoa Waffles
Make these lovely corn and quinoa waffles that are the ideal savoury snack for breakfast, lunch or dinner. We assure you, these gluten free waffles will be a huge hit with all the family.
You will need:
- 3 corn on the cob, husks removed
- ½ cup (75g) rice flour
- ½ cup (60g) quinoa flour
- ¼ cup (27g) corn flour
- ¼ cup (30g) tapioca starch
- 1 ½ tsp gluten free baking powder
- ½ tsp salt flakes
- 2 medium eggs, separated
- 1 ¼ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup mild-flavoured oil (such as sunflower, vegetable, canola)
- 100g lightly salted butter, softened
- 1 tsp chipotle chilli powder
- 150g cooked quinoa
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- juice of 1 lime, and zest
- guacamole or fresh avocado slices, to serve (optional)
- Place the corn cobs on a hot griddle pan, or over the open flame of a gas stove top, turning for 5 minutes, or until charred all over. Cut the kernels from the cob and set aside.
- Sift the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the egg yolks, buttermilk and oil. Add to the dry ingredients and beat until well combine.
- Whisk the egg whites to firm peaks using electric beaters, and fold through the batter along with about 2/3 cup of the corn kernels.
- Preheat a waffle iron, or non-stick griddle pan over medium heat. Grease the pan, then add ¼ cup of batter. Cook 2-3 minutes on each side in a griddle pan, or as per waffle iron instructions.
- For the chipotle butter: combine the butter and chipotle in a bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until fluffy. For the salsa; in a separate bowl toss the remaining corn kernels together with the quinoa, a good squeeze of lime juice and a little zest. Set aside.
- Serve the waffles topped with the chipotle butter, corn & quinoa salsa, scattered with a few coriander leaves and guacamole or avocado slices, if desired.